Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Join Jessica in Supporting Toxic Free NC

by Ileana Rodriguez, Development Director and Jessica Burroughs, Volunteer, Activist, and Toxic Free NC supporter

Meet Jessica Burroughs. She's a mom, activist and supporter of Toxic Free NC. Here's her story about why she supports Toxic Free NC:

When my first son was a year old, I read a newspaper story about three Latina women, all migrant farmworkers, whose children were born with horrific deformities. All three women had been sprayed with pesticides while working on the fields during their pregnancies.

Perhaps because the three children were around my son's age, and perhaps because of the nature of their deformities (one, for example, was born with neither arms nor legs), I couldn't get the story out of my head.

When I learned of a group in NC fighting to stop the spraying of fields during working hours, I became an immediate advocate of Toxic Free NC. When I reached out to Toxic Free NC, staff inspired me to write a letter to the editor about this injustice.

Since that time, Toxic Free NC has raised my awareness about how to protect my family, as much as possible, from toxic chemicals. They have empowered me to ask my children's preschool director to use a non-toxic, integrated pest management system to get rid of bugs. They have shown me how to make my own non-toxic household cleaners, and even invited me and one of my sons to join them in DC to urge Sens. Burr and Hagan to support the Safe Chemicals Act.

Will you join Jessica in standing up to protect our children from the dangers of pesticides and toxic chemicals? Make a gift today so we can keep fighting for a toxic-free future in North Carolina!

To meet our fundraising goal for this year, we need to raise $30,000 by December 31st. We want to raise $5,000 of that goal in the next week.

Your gift of $25, $50, $100 - or whatever is meaningful to you - will be put to work growing grassroots leaders like Jessica who will keep fighting to reduce pesticides and toxic chemicals in our environment, our food and our bodies.

Join Jessica and Toxic Free NC in fighting for a toxic-free future for us and our families. Donate today!

----

Throughout this week, join us on Facebook and stay tuned here as we share stories about how you are making it possible for us to grow a more toxic-free future for us and our families.  If you have a story to share, please leave a comment or send us an email - we'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment